metaport - The first mobile grid platform
The metaport platform is the first mobile grid platform for efficient presentation of virtual 3D worlds on mobile devices. Millions of people are registered in virtual 3D worlds like Second Life and use them for relationship building as well as for leisure and business.
And many of them also want to take part in these virtual worlds when on the move. So far this is very tedious, if not even impossible. Reasons for this are the small displays of the mobile devices, and the available bandwidth in mobile networks. The metaport gateway platform tackles exactly this problem.
metaport Key Features
- Converting the JPEG 2000 compressed data sent by grid server in OpenGL textures
- Reducing the size of the texture data for the specific mobile viewer
- Converting and Resizing the QuickTime videos sent by Linden Lab in mobile 3GP format.
- Reducing the object vertices for the mobile viewer
- Pre-Filtering and Buffering of the currently not required objects (due to the reduced depth view of the mobile viewer)
- Filtering the communcation traffic. Not required messages will be reduced and/or eleminated
- Reducing the frequence of heavy frequently sended messages